- Describe the morphological appearance of monocyte.
- List the general functions of monocytes and macrophages.
- Outline the development of monocytes and macrophages.
- List the common surface markers of the developing monocyte series.
- Describe the hematopoietic growth factors that influence monocyte development.
- Tabulate the locations and names of the specific tissue macrophages.
- List the specific names of tissue macrophages and where they are located.
- Describe the unique functions of tissue macrophages where they are important.
- Describe the role of monocytes as part of innate immunity.
- Describe the functions of macrophages as phagocyte cells.
- Outline the role of phagocytes as accessory cells.
- List the important products that macrophages secrete.
- Describe the function of macrophages in wound healing and as an anti-tumor agent.
- Describe how macrophages are involved in various infectious and malignant disease processes.
Author: John Chapman, FCSMLS, FIMLS, CLSp(H)
Version Date: October 2018
PEP hours: 15.8
CPS credits: 0.64
*Note: PEP hours and/or CPS credits will only be awarded upon successful completion of Final Exam.